Monday, July 23, 2012

Down Time

So, I was considering how people spend their "down time". In all honesty, I 'm not sure we actually experience that these days. In my so-called down time I am actually doing something. I look over my FB pages, I play the app games, I read what others post. I research information for my blog on Fashionista Fun by SensaFashion. This means looking over pics and pinning them to my Pinterest Board. I also work on the writing part. NOW, here I am posting for my own personal blog. At other times I look over text messages.


What actually is "down time"? Merriam Webster defines it as: Definition of Downtime
1
: time during which production is stopped especially during setup for an operation or when making repairs
2
: inactive time (as between periods of work) <napping during our downtime> <an injured athlete facing months of downtime>
This "downtime" was once considered a part of one's daily activities. Now, it is a long, lost, luxury that few know how to appreciate or utilize. I rarely see an individual who isn't using a cell phone, mp3 player, ipad, itouch, kindle, netbook, computer, bluetooth or any one of the numerous other devices available in these, our times of "technology".

Okay, so we know what downtime is, how it is consumed, but what about how it USED to be spent? I recall sitting on a porch swing, a yard swing, a glider, or on lawn chairs outdoors, visiting with family as we swung our feet or swayed. There was mutual sharing of verbal communication. Talking. CONVERSATIONS. One person spoke, the others listened, folks took turns responding to the first statement. Histories were shared, stories told, sun tea and lemonade sipped. Kids laughed and played around the yard. (pardon me, I cannot see for the moistness brought up by these memories) You had near on 3-4 generations there. All gathered together just because you liked being with one another. 

This is probably a lost art, this ability for "downtime". The marvelous lack of better things to do. Now, I have said my peace. I think I will actually go do "nothing" and enjoy a little "downtime". 

Thanks for reading, listening, caring.

Still a "WORK IN PROGRESS".


©

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please feel free to comment, encourage, or suggest with "constructive criticism". I look forward to your feedback. Thanks again! Corrina L. Hunter