Friday, November 2, 2012

An Ounce Of Kindness~A Pound Of Cure

I quite literally cannot believe the kindnesses of others. When you have health conditions that "impose" on others it can be quite humbling. Take for instance a person with diabetes. Friends, relatives and/or neighbors offer sugar free treats. For ones who are dieting, low calorie or special foods that fit into the nutrition needs of another. In my case, it's asthma. I have excruciatingly, hyper-sensitive asthma. Not allergies. Not chemical sensitivity. Just plain asthma.

With all health conditions, there is no "one size fits all". I cannot stress this enough. THERE IS NO "ONE SIZE FITS ALL". Because, all of us are different. What hurts some amuses others. What offends one, entertains another. What one can do with certain ailments, others cannot. There is no "one size fits all".

In my case, that is ever so true. My asthma has limited me in ways others are not. But that is okay. I have loving family, coworkers and even neighbors who are considerate to this issue. My own sister and brother-in-law gave me a home when I needed it and even changed their routines to accommodate my needs. They adjusted their bathing and showering routines for when I was away so as not to suffocate me. They put away their scented candles and potpourri. They even took the dryer bar out of the dryer so as not to afflict me. Their daughters, my beautiful nieces, did the same. That was significant to me.

Then at work; both of my jobs in early childhood education. My coworkers avoided being too close to me when at work if they knew they had a fragrance or some-such-thing on that suffocated me. Or, if they know they are going to work closely to me, or in a confined space, they take that little extra effort NOT to put on hairsprays, colognes, or other beauty aromas. And why? Because they do not want to suffocate me. They are kind. They are considerate. They are thoughtful. They care about the well-being of others over their own personal preferences.

And most recently; my neighbor and I share a laundry facilities in the basement of our apartment house. The facilities are mine, but I was unable to get them into the basement. So, I asked for his help in exchange for use of the facilities. His laundry detergent was very strong and I had to leave a time or two so I asked him if he would mind changing laundry soaps. The first time the dryer vent had come off so we had that fixed but the next time he did laundry it happened again so...you cannot imagine my surprise. He just went and purchased special laundry soap so as not to choke me. I know many will think "it was to his benefit" or "it was the least he could do" but you are not acquainted with him. I do not believe selfish gain was his purpose. I truly believe that he, like my family and coworkers, cared enough to be thoughtful.

Their ounce of kindness has provided pound after pound of cure for me. And I strive to do for others equally as unselfish. Well, this is all for today. What kindness have you experienced?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please feel free to comment, encourage, or suggest with "constructive criticism". I look forward to your feedback. Thanks again! Corrina L. Hunter