Thursday, July 26, 2012

Automotive Ailments & "Used to Coulds"

Years ago, a very loving friend taught a single, poverty level mother how to work on her own car. She was able to master changing the oil, replacing brakes, master cylinders, alternators, voltage regulators, spark plugs, brake lines, CV joints, radiators, adjusting carburetors (the things that fuel injectors replaced)...a few other minor repairs. She learned these things to preserve what precious little income she had. 


With great sorrow, this is a lost ability now. Health and modern mechanics, the new computer chips, and other circumstances no longer allow her to do these things. Things that once brought great joy and a sense of pride, of accomplishment. These things have not, however, hampered her ability to discern certain symptoms common to automobiles. The latest of these issues is the ALTERNATOR. Vile and vicious situation when they no longer work properly and the brushes wear down. 


Another issue is the fact that modern vehicles MUST be connected to a computerized machine and have diagnostics run on them to help determine many mechanical issues. So much for the "shade tree". It's off to a garage attached to a business, which in turn, is attached to $$$ per hour for labor alone. Parts are another issue entirely. The prices these days for the simplest parts are astronomical. Major parts are... I can't say it. It's painful, scary, heart-wrenching, and budget blasting.


I must apologize to my readers, this entry today is merely a collection of thoughts and woes. I just had to get these things out of my head, said and done with. There was a time in my life when this would not have been any concern at all for the parts were much more affordable back then and the labor cost little more than a jug of tea, a pot of coffee and a good home cooked meal. 


Herein lies the problem. I "used to could" do this for myself with a little help. "Used to could". :) Now, I must rely on professionals that come with fees beyond my capacity. (sighs) I will have to do a series of blogs enlightening you with the humorous antics involved with past automotive repairs.


Yes, I am that mom, and I am so grateful for what I have had and appreciative for what have now. 

©

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please feel free to comment, encourage, or suggest with "constructive criticism". I look forward to your feedback. Thanks again! Corrina L. Hunter